Sunday 19 February 2012

Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen

So, how're you doing today? I'm leaving for an exam later myself, but who wants to know about my private life? I mean, what's a blog for?


Oh, and today's post will be about a Youtube video with the same title as this post. Here's the video


So I came across it last week but didn't post it cuz of my obsession with video gaming. The video, if you didn't watch the full video, was about a parent who found a note on his daughter's facebook to him while he was upgrading her laptop (I saw some comments calling him a redneck. I don't want to discriminate, but aren't rednecks not so tech-saavy? Meh). 


The note was essentially a complaint letter to her parents, which I won't be mentioning for reasons. At the end of the video, he takes out a .45 calibre colt and puts about 9 exploding hollow point rounds (He mentions the info, I'm not a big gun nut) into her laptop that he spent $130 upgrading. Then proceeds to tell his daughter that she'll have to pay back the money for the bullets, $130 for the upgrading and then paying for her own computer. And ends the video's description with "Maybe a few kids can take something away from this... If you're so disrespectful to your parents and yourself as to post this kind of thing on Facebook, you're deserving of some tough love. Today, my daughter is getting a dose of tough love.".


Now for my opinion. BRACE YOURSELVES

Personally............


I kind of have mixed feelings about this whole fiasco. 


I mean, I just saw a laptop getting shot. My male side rejoices. 


I feel that this whole thing is really overrated. Given, I won't have any idea what this whole situation is about because the video's only 8 minutes long (1-2 minutes of it is a laptop getting shot) and it only talks about what his daughter's behaviour is like. 


From my perspective, this is just a parent doing his job, punishing the child for something she did wrong. She said awful comments about her own parents who gave her life, etc. etc., and treated her own responsibilities badly. This are typical issues that require parenting.


At the same time, what the father did was not absolutely right either. Yes, she's spoilt. Yes, she needs to be taught a lesson. But should there be a limit to that punishment? 


I don't know her personality and I don't know how (what environment) she's brought up in but if it were me I'd be pretty scared by my father firing rounds into my laptop. I would've no idea how to react to that at all. 


I guess this makes any kid change their perspective of their parents and life would probably never be exactly the same as before. 


Essentially, I guess I'm unsure about my stand in this. But of course, this blog wasn't made for me alone because I'd love to hear about your opinion on this so comment away down below.


Anyway, its about time I get going. Hope you've enjoyed this post and forgive me for my lack of decor on this blog. 


Have a good day y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment