Tuesday 17 April 2012

Assassin's Creed 3: Game news

Normally I don't visit Kotaku because of their somewhat over-exaggerated sense of gamerism (Especially after EA fucked Mass Effect 3 up so badly that every gamer cries) but when I heard of a Assassin's Creed 3 info that was dropped off the site, I went to google it almost immediately.


The game in a nutshell


Just in case you didn't know, I'm a pretty big fan of the series. I've played the first 2 games, owned Brotherhood for my PS3 (Mah baby <3) but haven't gotten a chance to try out Revelations yet, but refusing to spoil myself with the story (And using every damn thing as a distraction from checking).

First inspection of the new game is pretty obvious. Its set in the American Revolution where people are out killing people (Americans fighting the British, if I didn't interpret my information wrongly) while stealthy people are killing people (Assassins vs Templars). Its snowy in some of the pictures while some show that the snow has melted away and grass is growing beautifully. While people are dying in the background.


After some reading, you'll find that you're playing as Connor, a member of the Mohawk tribe who joins the Assassin's cause for un-revealed storyline reasons. 

Developers reveal that the weather actually affects your running speed. When its summer and snow-less, running is fairly easy while in winter, the snow makes Connor trip if you attempt to run too fast. Which amps the game's difficulty should you need to run from a bad situation. What's more, the game actually has rain coded in, along with how normal humans should react when its raining: take shelter. You'll see people scrambling to get out of the rain rather than staying outside and walking as if its a sunny day. This also affects how you should be moving as you play.

Also, in this era where guns require reloads after being shot once (known as muskets; the reloading speed isn't short if you didn't know), this can be a double-edge change for you. Should they miss, the guards will be forced to engage close-quarter combat rather than standing still for 5 minutes trying to reload their guns. Luckily, Connor will be using an arsenal of weapons found in this era such as the Mohawk's Tomahawk Axe, flintlock pistols and bows & arrows as well as assassin's arsenals such as ever-so-popular-and-awesome hidden blades.


Developers have said that for the first time in the series, you are able to climb trees as well as buildings. Previously, you can scale the tallest towers without having proper foothold (or just those that you can't see) yet seem unable to process how to scale off a tree (or just jump off a ledge and swing with a tree. I tried that myself, to be honest. Didn't end so well though). Now they've added the code for it thus you are able to become America's first Tarzan. Another way to avoid getting shot!!!


Being from a Mohawk tribe, Connor has learnt how to hunt animals since he's lived in the forest. The game allows you to hunt for prey as sort of a sidequest (like the feathers from the second generation of AC).


Now for graphics, Ubisoft is using their brand new graphics engine known as AnvilNext. After some research from Wikipedia, its actually an amped up version of the engine used in AC2 generation. They hope that the engine will allow games to have more powerful and better graphics in our current generation of gaming platforms. 


The AnvilNext engine claims to allow many characters to appear on screen at once. This allows the game to produce and process warzones smoothly, which you can either join in or avoid like the plague. Depending on how you want to play.


Finally, the last piece of info I have on the game is that developers hate making PC versions of the game. Quoting from my sources: "I think if you want to play on PC, and you want to play Assassin's Creed, you have a controller.".


Are you threatening me?




Of course, pre-orders are already open and depending where you pre-order, you'll get different pre-order-only perks such as an extra uniform and unlocked weapons. Different sites offer different perks, so check them out before pre-ordering!!!


Anyway, this is just some news that I've found. I'll be doing my first impressions of the game once I have more time in an edit of this post, so do check back.


Cheers, for now.


EDIT: Ok, so I'm back to give a little opinion on the upcoming Assassin's Creed game. 


First thing I thought of when they told us about AnvilNext was that it sounded so good it felt like it was over-exaggerated. Graphics that run smoothly even when there's alot of things going on felt unheard of and really felt next generation. But many times when game developers and companies promise us a good graphics, the result often disappoints. 


I find developers have done their very best to make this game as realistic as they possibly can. From what they're telling us, I feel that they've done a good job out of it. Again, whether they can deliver what they've promised and what we expect from the game depends on the final, released product. Chances are, they probably won't be disappointing us soon.
Although I'm against it, the introduction of hunting animals was something I've never expected developers to do, just because it felt so much like Red Dead Redemption (But according to developers, the numbers are smaller here compared to RDR, because moving accolades aren't fun when they're common). 


I would like to see what they've replaced the Prostitutes, Mercenaries and Thieves from the AC2 era with. Perhaps during that time, they'd be called sex-slaves, hired help and pickpockets, since its America we're talking about. They'd be keen on trying not to capture attention from others, I supposed. I guess its what I'll predict.


Because, like, you know, its always good to have, like, backup


Personally though, I'm a big storyline fan so even if the gameplay is really bad, I'd still play it if the story is good. Its similar to my Assassin's Creed Brotherhood game, I've never touched it after I finished the original storyline. I planned on getting all the secret stuff like Subject 17 secrets and feathers, but I didn't bother because I was all "Meh, its only secrets. I'll youtube them or something" when Desmond stabbed Lucy. Spoils all my replay value, I admit.


Finally, I would like to see what weapons they'll include in this game. They've revealed the Tomahawk and the Flintlock Pistols (Which look awesome in real life, in all honesty) but I want to see what they'll allow us to use to dispose of enemies.


Well, that's really it for my game opinion. Glad you've lasted this long without alt-tabbing or closing this window. 


Information was taken from Kotaku, The Honest Gamer, Wikipedia and a good friend of mine. Thank you all. 


EDIT2: Realised none of my recent blogs has photos. Shall be stealin' from Google once again. Hurr hurr hurr hurr

No comments:

Post a Comment